Caprion offers a dynamic and stimulating work environment, encouraging continuous innovation and the sharing of knowledge and ideas. We are proud to have built a strong team of highly motivated and skilled people.
We believe our success depends on the contributions and dedication of each employee. We are looking for individuals who are motivated by challenges and have the skills needed to evolve themselves and the company into the future.
Our world-class proteomics facility is situated within the Science Pavillion building of UQAM (Université de Québec à Montréal) in downtown Montréal.
DIRECTOR OF BIOINFORMATICS
In this role as Director of Bioinformatics (BI), reporting to the Vice-President, Scientific Operations, you will lead Caprion’s bioinformatics/statistics group and will be a team player with leadership skills and experience.
- Overall team supervision ;
- Team development including individual team member coaching, goal setting, technical mentorship and enforcement of best practices;
- Developing and implementing workflows as well as tools to process and manage data in an effective and timely manner;
- Organizing and leading the team to ensure a robust and scalable platform;
- Developing and implementing training programs for staff to build an environment of high performance;
- Providing accurate estimation of bioinformatics/statistics effort for projects based on scope of work;
- Proper allocation of resources to staff projects appropriately;
- Directing the work of staff applying bioinformatics/statistical tools;
- Collaborating with Study Directors and Process Leaders to ensure that project objectives are met and are completed on time;
- Ensuring effective communication within and across teams as well as Caprion sites (Menlo Park and Montreal);
- Keeping abreast of new bioinformatics/statistical tools and software for proteomic analysis;
- Recommending new systems and processes to improve current proteomic platform;
- Testing new and updated bioinformatics/statistical tools and software;
- Collaborating with software developers in the development and modification of commercial bioinformatics software;
- Developing and delivering presentations and updates for senior management and Caprion customers;
- The qualified individual will possess a Ph.D. in Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Computer Science or related field, along with 5+ years of experience in the Bioinformatics field and 3+ years of direct management experience in life sciences.
- Direct experience with “Omics” data analysis is an asset and knowledge of biomarkers and clinical drug development is a plus.
- Works closely with business management and charting a cogent Bioinformatics strategy at the scientific level, including designing the enabling technology/information management solutions and leading their successful execution.
- You should have the ability to integrate different perspectives and deliver enterprise-wide strategic impact; with a successful track record in a sophisticated technology organization, preferably in a research-intensive and entrepreneurial environment.
- You need a broad business and scientific perspective, not just technical knowledge;
- Excellent problem solving abilities, communication and interpersonal skills; a keen ability to lead and motivate and superb management and strategic planning skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple short and long-term projects of varying complexity with flexibility in a dynamic environment where priorities are changing.
- A strong results-oriented work ethic is required to ensure on-time high quality delivery of products to customers.
- Abilities to build consensus and partnership around issues that help the organization thrive in a competitive biotechnology environment will be put to good use.
SENIOR SCIENTIST SAMPLE PROCESSING/MASS SPECTROMETRY
Caprion Proteomics is seeking a highly motivated individual with experience in protein chemistry/mass spectrometry/protein characterization to join a collaborative,
proteomics focused scientific environment. Caprion’s leading and proprietary proteomics discovery technologies - ProteoCarta™ - enable the discovery of novel targets for
therapeutics development and the identification of novel protein biomarkers that can significantly reduce risk and enhance clinical development productivity and decision
making in pharmaceutical research. Caprion is based in Montreal, Canada (www.caprion.com) and is looking to fill a Senior Scientist position as described below:
The focus will be on conducting label-free differential quantification and identification of protein biomarkers using the Thermo QExactive as well as conducting MRM-based assays for marker verification and validation, using the Ab Sciex QTRAP systems. This individual will work independently but closely with proteomics and bioinformatics scientists in a results-driven, collaborative environment. He/she will be responsible for the choice of experimental methodology, carrying out the analyses and providing interpretations and conclusions from the results in a report for each project in a timely fashion. The successful candidate will also advise the scientific team on general biomarker discovery questions, platform design, study design, and data analysis. The Senior Scientist is expected to propose and implement new sample analysis procedures and/or improve existing ones. You will train RAs to support your biomarker discovery experiments with abundant protein depletion, SCX and High-pH RP chromatography for sample fractionation as well as sample preparation following standard operating procedures.
- Perform sample preparation for a variety of biological materials.
- Perform mass spectrometry analysis and interpret results to ensure validity of conclusions.
- Hands-on experience in operating a variety of electrospray-based LC/MS systems with a high comfort level.
- Responsible for method development both discovery and quantitative method. Ability to also perform method development and validation of PK assay of biomarker(s) and drug products such as biologics/biosimilars
- Perform in-depth data analysis and interpretation for each experiment
- Provide clear presentation and summary of analysis results and biological interpretation.
- Design and execute experimental testing
- Design and execute troubleshooting experiments
- Propose and implement novel approaches to sample processing and mass spectrometry analysis.
- Train Research Associate to perform new sample preparation or analytical techniques.
- Provide scientific recommendations to improve the quality of results and the platform.
- Monitor data quality and take responsibility for project execution in the laboratory.
- Must be capable of working in a GLP environment
- M.Sc. or Ph.D in life sciences, chemistry or biochemistry (or equivalent).
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
- Prioritize, organize workload and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Capable of supervision for specific projects will be an asset.
- May require working in BSL2 environment.
- Solid understanding of mass spectrometry, molecular biology, protein chemistry.
- The candidate must have excellent oral and written communications skills and be able to prepare project reports and make internal and client presentations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively as part of a fast paced research team.
- Experience working in industry is a big plus.
Interested candidates should submit their résumé by post or by email to:
201 avenue Président-Kennedy, suite 3900
Montréal, Québec, Canada H2X 3Y7
Please note, phone calls will not be accepted. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.